Becoming proficient in operating this machinery is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small.
This course will test your knowledge and confidence to safely operate the machine, protecting both you and those around you.
This course offers a range of certificate options depending on your needs:
- Below five tonnes
- Above five tonnes
- Excavators used as cranes.
This assessment course has been developed to assess your knowledge and understanding of how to operate a 180˚ excavator safely.
The course duration will depend on the number of learners requiring assessment and will be from half a day to one day.
The assessment will consist of a multiple choice question paper and practical assessment using the machine. Assessment will cover:
- Plant Safety and the Law
- Machine Knowledge and Preparation for Work
- Travelling and Manoeuvring the Machine
- Machine Operation
- Excavators used as cranes (optional).
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
This course is for you if you need to prove your ability in safely operating a 180˚ excavator or renew your Lantra Skills card.
As you'll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
At the end of this course, you will have proved your ability to:
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Interpret and comply with drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and manufacturers’ operator’s manuals (MOMs) related to the plant or machinery operations and the work to be carried out
- Identify the hazards associated with plant or machinery operations and put the appropriate control measures in place
- Identify and explain the purpose of machine components and operator controls
- Conduct all operational and pre-start checks
- Prepare the excavator for site and highway travel
- Drive the excavator safely over varying types of terrain
- Operate the excavator safely in restricted spaces
- Prepare the backhoe and bucket to excavate
- Demonstrate how to safely attach and remove different types of buckets and ancillaries
- Select the appropriate backhoe/loader techniques to perform essential tasks
- Operate plant and machinery to excavate ground and loose materials to given work instructions
- Perform excavation activities in a variety of soil types
- Demonstrate how to safely place spoil into transporting vehicles
- Demonstrate how to grade, spread and level different types of material
- Demonstrate how to lift basic suspended loads with backhoe in set configuration(s)
- Shut down and secure plant or machinery
- Describe the procedures used for loading and unloading excavators when transported on a trailer.