Becoming proficient in operating these machines is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small.
This course will equip you with the knowledge and confidence to operate these machines safely, protecting both you and those around you.
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate an abrasive wheel machine safely.
The amount of instruction you will require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days.
The training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment. Course sessions include:
- Abrasive Wheel Safety and the Law
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- The Abrasive Wheel
- Inspection, Handling, Transporation and Storage
- Machine and Wheel Components
- Bench Mounted Grinder
- Hand Held Electric Driven Grinder/Disc Cutter
- Bench Mounted Cut-off Saw
- Hand Held Engine Driven Disc Cutter
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment.
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card.
This course is for you if you need to become proficient in safely operating an abrasive wheel machine. As you'll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the health and safety requirements for abrasive wheel operation
- Carry out a risk assessment and implement control measures, including emergency procedures
- Understand the legislative requirements and responsibilities of abrasive wheel operations
- Understand the characteristics of abrasives and their uses
- Understand and interpret the marking system of abrasive wheels
- Understand how to handle and store abrasive wheels
- Understand how to select and check abrasive wheels before use
- Understand and identify what speeds should be adhered to in wheel selection
- Identify the main components and understand their functions
- Mount an abrasive wheel and /or a diamond wheel
- Understand the difference between truing and dressing a wheel (bench grinders)
- Dress a wheel and identify dressers (bench grinders)
- Adjust work rests correctly (bench grinders)
- Use operating precautions and be aware of avoiding hazardous conditions
- Carry out daily maintenance on petrol powered machines (disc cutter and cut-off saws)
- Operate the equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.