Appointed Person - Planning Lifting Operations has been designed as part of increased demand to enable those who plan lifting operations to have a recognised certificate where existing card schemes are not a contractual requirement.
The course covers:
- Current legislation surrounding lifting operations including BS7121
- Plant Lifting Duty Charts
- Lifting Appliances
- The different duties of persons involved with lifting operations
- Requirements when planning the lifting of persons.
This course has been designed for anyone who is required to plan lifting operations for a range of lifting appliances throughout their working lives.
By the end of the course the learners will be able to:
- Plan lifting operations in accordance with the relevant legislation for basic, intermediate and complex lifts
- Reference BS7121 and other sources of information in accordance with the requirements for the lifting appliance being used
- Locate and understand information detailed on mobile plant lifting duty charts including excavators, cranes, lorry loaders and Telescopic material handlers
- Identify the correct documentation required for lifting appliances
- Understand crane types and terminology associated with cranes
- Role of all persons involved in lifting operations as defined in BS7121
- Identification of hazards and ground conditions within the working area
- Automatic safe load indicators types and function
- Construct a Safe system of work, including method statements, risk assessments, including drawings to specified dimensions
- Safe slinging, methods of communication and effects of poor communication
- Understand Crane stability and duty charts for crane rigging
- Describe the requirements of reporting and liaising with local authority, airfields, and railways
- Understand effects of wind on lifting operations and other environmental factors to be considered when planning a lifting operation
- State requirements when planning the lifting of persons
- Calculate outrigger loadings and spreader mat sizes and types from given information.
Lifting operations – Crane Supervisor.
Slinging and Signalling the movement of suspended loads.