Understand how conservation can work and bring benefit to your farm.
Good conservation benefits us and the environment and is especially important when operating a farm.
Recognise the challenges by looking at the bigger picture and understand how good conservation can benefit you by taking our quality assured course.
This is a training only course and you'll receive a certificate at the end.
You'll learn about conservation and habitat, pest control and making plans for conservation on the farm. Then there will be a practical visit to a farm, so dress for the outdoors.
- What is conservation all about?
- The reasons for conservation
- The need for conservation
- Assessing the important features for conservation
- Habitat protection, enhancement and creation on the farm
- Fertiliser application
- Pest control
- Conservation and habitat on the farm plans.
This course is for you if you're a landowner, manager or farm worker and want to manage your farm/s more sustainably, without compromising your incomes or farming standards.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Define the meaning of conservation
- Recognise the benefits of conservation for farmers, wildlife, landscape and the general public
- Identify aspects of farming which may potentially damage or pose a threat to the environment
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for conservation on farms
- Establish priorities for conservation on farms
- Recognise the benefits of a conservation on the farm plan
- Know of sources of finance, further information and advice
- Identify skills and further training you and others need when working on, or connected with, the farm
- Prepare and implement a conservation on the farm plan.
- Organic Farming Award
- Level 2 Certificate in Land-based Activities
- Level 5 Diploma in Principles of Leadership and Management in Land-based Settings
- Awareness of Integrated Weed Management
- Introduction to Installing and Maintaining Green Roofs
- Safe Use and Application of Fertiliser and Manure