Firewood processors are heavy duty pieces of dangerous equipment, refresh your skills with Lantra.
The Lantra Firewood processors course covers the Health and safety regulations, safety requirements and environmental considerations of using machines to process wood for fuel.
This is a hands-on refresher course that delivers both practical skills and health and safety guidance as well as demonstrating that you and your employer have completed sufficient training to meet the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER).
Our experienced instructors will take you through the operation of a firewood processor, from risk assessment to preparing the machine for storage.
This course is for those who have already undertaken Firewood Processors training and wish to refresh and update their skills.
This course refreshes your skills to ensure that you are still able to:
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for firewood processor operation
- State the principles of HSE legislation and safety guidelines for using firewood processors
- Select the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and state the maintenance requirements
- Select an appropriate site for use and deploy warning signs/barriers as necessary
- Connect to tractor/power source
- Convert from transport position, carry out operator checks and identify the safety features of firewood processors
- Carry out routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the cutting mechanism
- Prepare machine prior to operation, start the machine, carry out safety checks and stop the machine
- Prepare the work area, a range of cord wood for processing and identify hazardous materials not to be processed
- Use approved techniques to process a range of material into cut and split firewood
- State the procedures for dealing with a range of common operational faults, for example, jammed wood and out-feed stuck
- State the safety and environmental factors associated with the disposal of waste and the various end-uses of waste
- Prepare machine for transport and storage.