This training course follows on from our introductory green roof courses.
Green roofs have been around in the UK for several years but have historically been a niche and marginal market.
However, the industry has seen considerable growth in recent years.
Climate change and sustainable urban drainage issues will likely encourage more green roofs to be retro-fitted into existing properties.
A Code of Practice has been published via the Green Roof Organisation (GRO) – the latest version is available on www.livingroofs.org
This training course is industry-leading - it provides a new industry standard of the required knowledge for installing and maintaining green roofs.
It builds on the knowledge and skills gleaned from Lantra's ‘Introduction to Installing and Maintaining Green Roofs’ course.
You'll be given a deeper knowledge not only of Green Roofs - but also Blue Roofs, BioSolar Roofs, Shaped Roofs and Modular Roofs.
It is perfect for you if you simply wish to know more about these new kinds of roofs.
For example, perhaps you're considering installing one?
This course is also ideal for existing and aspiring green roof professionals, as it provides the foundation knowledge for greater competence.
Ultimately, you can then become a certified ‘Green Roofs Installer’ via Lantra's follow-on assessment only course.
This training course is for you if you simply want to learn more about green roofs.
It's also suitable for anyone either already working in, or entering the green roof industry
You can then build upon this training with our Green Roof Installer assessment-only course to become an industry recognised Green Roof Installer.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe appropriate methods of installing and maintaining Green Roofs
- Understand how plants work
- Understand the importance of botanical names
- Identify a number of plants linked to Green Roofs
- Identify the components of substrates
- Explain the upper limits for organic content
- Recommend substrate blends for different types of Green Roofs
- Understand the how and why maintenance is required
- Maintain a variety of Green Roofs
- Understand how and why Blue Roofs are used
- Construct Blue Roofs from construction designs/details/ specifications using best practice
- Understand how and why BioSolar Green Roofs are used
- Construct BioSolar Green Roofs using best practice
- Understand the how and why Shaped/Pitched Green Roofs are used
- Construct Shaped/Pitched Green Roofs using best practice
- Understand the how and why Modular Green Roofs are used
- Construct Modular Green Roofs using best practice.
If you are aged 18+ and wish to become a Green Roof Installer, you will need to develop practical skills as well as knowledge.
There is a 3-step process for becoming a Green Roof Installer:
- Complete 'The Introduction to Installing and Maintaining Green Roofs' (Training and Assessment or Assessment only) to gain your Red Trainee LISS/CSCS card*
- Complete 'Green Roofs - Installation and Maintenance' (Training only) to gain the knowledge required for step 3
- Complete 'Green Roofs Installer' (Assessment only) to gain your Blue Skilled Worker LISS/CSCS card* stating 'Green Roofs Installer'.
*Land-based Industry Skills Scheme (LISS)/ Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)