Become a certified operator with our hand held hedge trimmer course. Our course is suitable for you if you have a combi tool, a dedicated machine or a long-reach hedge trimmer.
Hand held hedge trimmers are effective and flexible pieces of equipment.
Their mobility makes them versatile but also increases the potential for accidents.
Our one-day course will teach you to use the machine safely and correctly, as well as maintenance specific to the hedge trimmer.
It's ideal if you're looking to update your skills or keep on top of the latest work-based health and safety regulations. It’s worth noting that our course doesn’t cover working at height.
Our experienced instructors will teach you to use the hedge trimmer safely and with confidence.
You'll be guided through all the health and safety requirements and understand the machine and its capabilities.
You'll then tackle practical, hands-on sessions.
It's an integrated training and assessment course, so you'll receive a certificate of competence once it's completed.
- Prepare for hedge trimmer operations
- Additional maintenance of a hedge trimmer
- Operating the hedge trimmer
- Clearing the site and machine checks.
Our one-day training course is for anyone employed in the agriculture, horticulture, landscaping, and grounds maintenance industry that currently operates, or will be required to operate a hand held hedge trimmer.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- produce a site-specific risk assessment for hedge trimmer operations
- identify the necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required
- identify the health and safety features required on a hedge trimmer
- identify defects on a hedge trimmer and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer’s attention
- correctly carry out all routine maintenance in accordance with the machine manufacturer’s information and/or this workbook
- prepare the hedge trimmer for use with the correct fuel/oil mix
- start the hedge trimmer from both hot and cold start in a safe manner
- state the possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- maintain the hedge trimmer in a safe and efficient working condition
- adjust the hedge trimmer for safe and comfortable operation where a harness is used
- operate the hedge trimmer in a safe manner, having regard for the safety of the public, property and environmental factors
- organise the site and use a systematic method of working where possible.