Master the basic lambing skills with our training course in Lambing Techniques.
Lambing is an essential basic skill that anyone who works with ewes needs to have, and our Lambing Techniques course will help you know what you can tackle yourselves and when you need to bring in veterinary expertise.
The course has been designed to develop your ability to identify, examine, lamb down or seek help for those ewes who have lambing difficulties. There will be background information so you can prepare for and recognise the signs of lambing. A lambing simulator will be used for the practical activities.
The course sessions will cover:
- Preparation for lambing
- Recognise the signs of lambing
- Normal birth
- Lambing the ewe
- Dealing with abnormal presentations
Our course is for you if you are a farmer or stockperson with some experience of handling ewes, and you will be assisting with or responsible for lambing.
The course is not recommended for pregnant woman.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Prepare yourself and the facilities and equipment for hygienic lambing
- Recognise the physical and behavioural signs indicating the imminence of lambing
- Identify the sign of normal and abnormal labour
- Identify simple malpresentations and correct them
- Decide when veterinary assistance must be obtained
- Care for the newly-born lamb and the ewe immediately after lambing.
- Machine Sheep Shearing
- Better Livestock Handling.