Develop your skills in Dry Stone Walling with this Level 1 qualification.
Dry stone walls are part of our heritage and an important and attractive way to define boundaries.
Laying the stones without using mortar is an age-old technique which keeps the walls strong and stable.
Our Level 1 Certificate in Dry Stone Walling is a regulated qualification and gives you the option to go on to achieve a recognised national qualification that will cement those skills.
You will undertake basic walling and be able to rebuild gaps in free-standing dry stone walls.
Complete this level and you can go on to Levels 2 and 3.
Improve your awareness of safe working practices and the preservation of our wildlife and habitat.
There are three mandatory units to complete Level 1:
- Prepare to Build a Dry Stone Wall
- Build and Pack Dry Stone Walls
- Using Copestones.
The Level 1 certificate is ideal if you are already practising aspects of dry stone walling and want a recognised qualification, or to retrain for a new career in employment or voluntary work in environmental conservation.
Worth noting: If you are under 16 years of age you will need consent from a parent or guardian to take this qualification.
Unit 1, Prepare to build a dry stone wall, you will:
- Know how to strip down a dry stone wall
- Prepare a dry stone wall for rebuilding
- Know how to prepare the foundations for a dry stone wall
- Lay the foundation of a dry stone wall.
Unit 2, Build and pack dry stone wall, you will:
- Know how to build and pack the first lift of a dry stone wall
- Know how to place and pack through stones
- Know how to build and pack the second lift of a dry stone wall.
Unit 3, Using copestones, you will:
- Understand the purpose of using copestones in dry stone walling
- Know how to set and secure copestones/toppings.
- Level 2 Certificate in Dry Stone Walling
- Level 3 Certificate in Dry Stone Walling
- Practical Hedge Laying.