Become qualified in transporting animals with our nationally recognised Level 2 qualification
- This qualification is based around the movement of farm animals, birds (poultry) and horses
- It covers transportation over 65km on short (up to, and including, eight-hour) road journeys
- To transport animals by road, you will need to understand key regulations
- You will also need to ensure that any animals you transport are properly protected
- Our course will assess that knowledge
- It will lead to a nationally recognised Level 2 qualification
- You will be awarded a Lantra Awards Level 2 qualification certificate and a Lantra Skills Card
- Our qualification is for drivers, attendants and assembly centre staff who handle animals
- You'll be assessed in all the key regulatory and safety issues
- The assessment covers two units
- As a rough guide, your time commitment for these two units would be 23 learning hours
- You'll need to pass a minimum of one unit specific to your work environment to successfully obtain the overall qualification
- It will enable you to achieve, or work towards achieving, a national Level 2 qualification
This qualification has primarily been designed for you if you transport farm animals, horses or birds (domestic fowl, ducks, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl, quails, pheasants and partridges) over 65km on short road journeys of up to and including eight hours.
Our award is applicable to you as a driver or attendant using road vehicles for transporting live vertebrate animals in connection with an economic activity and market, and for assembly centre staff handling animals.
By the end of the course, transporters will have been assessed on:
- Fitness for travel
- Means of transport
- Use of its facilities
- Loading unloading and handling
- Watering and feeding intervals, journey times and rest periods
- Space allowances and documentation.
Market and assembly centre staff will have been assessed on:
Fitness, handling, and separation.
- Level 2 Award in Animal Transport by Road - Long Journey Attendant
- Level 2 Award in Animal Transport by Road - Long Journey Driver.