Learn safe, humane and effective pest control with our intermediate level sporting rifle course.
Do you need to plan and implement a pest control strategy using a suitably prepared sporting rifle?
Is this control strategy matched to your proficiency and knowledge?This course will equip you with these skills, so that you can eradicate pests effectively and humanely.
Our experienced instructors will guide you through 2 days of training to make sure you can use a rifle for pest control safely and confidently.
You'll learn the key fundamentals of handling, set-up, maintenance, marksmanship and health and safety.
There'll be some theory, so you understand law and safe practice.
Then it’s onto the shooting ground or rifle range for practical training.
Once you've completed this 2-day course successfully, you will receive a certificate of competence for PSC2 Use of Sporting Rifle for Agricultural Pest Control and a Lantra Skills ID card.
Worth noting: You do not need to bring your own rifle, slip or ammunition, as these will be provided on the day.
This course is for you if you have some experience of wildlife management and have awareness of rifle shooting.
You will probably come from a shoot management, pest control or farming background.
Worth noting: The certificates for Lantra’s rifle courses expire after 5 years.
If you wish, you may then either refresh this course or progress onto the more advanced course PSC3 Night Shooting- Rifles course.
By the end of the course you'll:
- appreciate a practical foundation for safe working practice related to sporting rifle use
- understand legislation relating to the ownership and use of a sporting rifle
- identify and understand the main parts of a rifle and telescopic sight, and know what happens when the trigger is pulled and know how to maintain a rifle
- understand current legislation and relevant codes of practice relating to pest control
- understand the basic ecology of pest species as this relates to control
- appreciate the effective planning and application of pest control measures
- understand key aspects of fox behaviour and life history
- appreciate the efficient application and planning of fox control measures
- understand current legislation and relevant codes of practice related to fox control
- be able to assess the land relating to safe rifle use
- understand the basics of delivering accurate shots
- understand the basic principles of health and safety planning and risk assessment relating to sporting rifle use
- appreciate a procedure for recording control and management activity relating to the use of a sporting rifle
- have undertaken a practical exercise to extend their understanding of essential ballistics
- appreciate the reading of a projectile path, its drop and the relationship to aiming and sight adjustment allied to range performance.
This course is part of Lantra's rifle suite:
- PSC1 Safe Use and Handling – Rifles
- PSC2 Use of Sporting Rifle in Agricultural Pest Control
- PSC3 Night Shooting – Rifles.