Becoming proficient in operating this machinery is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small.
This course will equip you with the knowledge and confidence to operate the machine safely, protecting both you and those around you.
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate a ride on roller safely.
The amount of instruction you will require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days.
The training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment. Course sessions include:
- Plant Safety and the Law
- Principles of Soil Compaction
- Machine Knowledge and Preparation for Work
- Travelling and Manoeuvring the Machine
- Machine Operation
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment.
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
This course is for you if you need to become proficient in safely operating a ride on roller.
As you'll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
At the end of this course, you will confidently be able to:
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Interpret and comply with drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and any manufacturer’s operator’s manual (MOM) relating to the plant or machinery operations and the work to be carried out
- Identify the hazards associated with plant or machinery operations and put the appropriate control measures in place
- Understand the principles of soil compaction, including soil types and conditions
- Identify the different types of compaction equipment and their application
- Identify and explain the purpose of machine components and operator controls
- Conduct all operational and pre-start checks
- Prepare the ride on roller for site travel
- Drive the ride on roller safely over varying types of terrain
- Operate the ride on roller safely in restricted spaces
- Prepare the ride on roller for work
- Select the appropriate techniques to perform essential tasks
- Operate plant and machinery to compact ground and loose materials to given work instructions
- Perform compaction activities in a variety of soil types
- Prepare an area prior to compacting
- Carry out a range of compacting procedures with different types of material
- Explain the safety procedures when working on unsupported edges and inclines
- Shut down and secure plant or machinery
- Describe the procedures used for loading and unloading ride on rollers when transported on a trailer.