Become competent in safely operating a rough terrain telescopic lift truck with our course
Theory and practice combine on our course.
It covers all types of rough terrain telescopic lift trucks, both with and without stabilisers and articulated.
You'll be brought up to speed with the latest health and safety regulations.
You'll also learn about the potential – and the pitfalls – of the machine.
Then it's hands-on time, with a full run-through of forklift driving basics.
You'll learn about key pre-use and running checks.
Finally, you'll move on to loading and unloading skills and mastering the vehicle's lifting and shifting capabilities.
Course sessions include:
- Lift truck safety and the law
- Common areas of maintenance and pre-start checks
- Start, stop and basic manoeuvring
- Operating with pallets and loads
- Bulk and difficult loads
- Rough terrain use.
If you wish, you can also be assessed on a wide variety of attachments- bale grab, bale spike, big bag handler, bucket, crane/loading jib, forks, grain pusher, manure forks/grab and a personnel platform.
You’ll need to bring some personal protective (PPE) clothing and safety boots with you to protect against the weather, plus a notebook, pencil and calculator.
Worth noting: You can progress onto a forklift truck qualification which, to give it its full name, is the Level 2 Award in Fork Lift Truck (Counter Balance) Operations.
This course is for you whether you’re a novice or an experienced forklift operator.
You may be working in any of a variety of industries- agriculture, aquaculture, construction, environment, conservation, facilities management, warehousing, highways, horticulture/landscaping, local authorities, ports and utilities.
Course durations can typically vary from 1 day to 5 days depending upon your skills level and how many attachments you wish to cover.
At the end of this course you’ll be able to:
Prepare the rough terrain telescopic lift truck for driving or manoeuvring by:
- Having site safety awareness
- Identifying basic construction and components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges
- Identifying and complying with the MOM and other information sources, such as rating plates and applicable regulations
- Carrying out all pre-use and running checks
- Configuring the lift truck for travel
- Placing the lift truck in an out-of-service condition
Operate, move or manoeuvre the rough terrain telescopic lift truck:
- Both with and without a load
- In confined areas using forward and reverse direction, with and without a load
Select, transfer and position loads using a lift truck by:
- Setting up the lift in order to lift various loads
- Lifting various loads within the full working range of the lift truck
- Ensuring load integrity and security
- Transporting loads
- Placing and retrieving loads accurately at various places
- Placing and retrieving loads from a vehicle bed or trailer
- Keeping within safe working parameters
- Operating with bulk loads
- Explaining the loading and unloading procedure, on and off a transporter.
Place and retrieve loads from a vehicle bed or trailer
Undertake post-operational checks on a lift truck.