Brush up your skills on this powerful tool with our one-day refresher course.
Woodchippers are popular pieces of equipment used in industries from arboriculture to woodland preservation.
They're powerful tools that have the potential to cause injury if used incorrectly.
This makes keeping your skills up to date essential – refresher training should take place every three to five years.
Our course will ensure you continue to appreciate what it takes to operate a woodchipper safely and with confidence.
You'll receive a certificate of refresher training once it is completed.
We'll use a balanced mix of theory and practical sessions.
You'll be updated on all the key health and safety issues.
Routine maintenance tuition will follow.
Practical work will include chipping and removing blockages.
Any person employed in arboriculture, forestry, horticulture, landscaping and grounds maintenance who operates woodchippers as a part of their work. Refresher training in the use of woodchippers will normally be undertaken every 5 years.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for wood chipping operations
- State the principles of Health and Safety Executive legislation and safety guidelines for using a woodchipper
- Select the appropriate personal protective equipment and state the maintenance requirements
- Carry out operator checks and identify the safety features of a woodchipper
- Carry out routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the blades
- Prepare machine prior to operation, start the machine, carry out safety checks and stop machine
- Prepare a work area and a range of materials for chipping and identify hazardous materials not to be chipped
- Use approved techniques to chip woody brash and both short and long sections of timber safely and effectively
- State the procedure for removing blockages
- State the safety and environmental factors associated with the disposal of woodchips and the various end uses of woodchips
- Prepare machine for transport and storage.