Animal Transport by Road – What You Need to Know
Dairy Cows

Published on

March 7 2019

The transportation of animals is a major part of farm life, and farmers have a legal responsibility to ensure their animals are transported in a way that won’t cause injury or unnecessary suffering to them. 

If you transport animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, equine or poultry on road journeys over 65km (up to and including eight hours), then you are required to undertake a qualification to ensure competence.  Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 stipulates the importance of the protection of animals during transport and related operations. This regulation requires that those transporting and handling animals in connection with economic activity are trained in the relevant technical provisions of the Regulation.

There are two types of authorisation:

  • Short journey - authorisation for journeys longer than 65 km and up to and including eight hours duration
  • Long journey - authorisation that covers all journeys, including those lasting more than eight hours (driver and attendant)

Training is essential to understand the regulations and safety requirements, ensuring that animals are protected correctly. Lantra offers quality training to meet these requirements:

  • Level 2 Award in Animal Transport by Road (Short Journey)
  • Level 2 Award in Animal Transport by Road (Long Journey Driver
  • Level 2 Award in Animal Transport by Road (Long Journey Attendant).

These qualifications enable a driver or attendant to be compliant when using road vehicles for transporting farm animals, birds and equine as an economic activity. The qualification addresses fitness for travel, means of transport, use of facilities, loading, unloading and handling, watering and feeding intervals, journey times and rest periods, space allowances and documentation. Assessment for competence is a one-off requirement.

All learners undertaking a qualification with a driving competence element must hold the appropriate driving licence.

Transporters must carry their authorisation certificate, or a copy of it, whenever transporting animals. Animal health and welfare inspectors or trading standards officers may ask to see authorisations.


Check out our Animal Transport Qualifications