Published onJune 5 2019
Harper Adams University are the first Lantra Training Provider to deliver our Awareness of Integrated Weed Management training course.
On 28 May 2019, the first group of learners who sat the course consisted of fellow Amenity Forum members and likeminded individuals in weed control.
Instructed by Technical Verifier Jonathan Spibey, the course proved a great success and was well received by all in attendance; furthering the ongoing weed control discussion in an industry that’s fighting a battle of restrictions on the use and availability of chemicals.
It has never been more important to look to an integrated approach to weed management, to strike an even balance between safety, success and sustainability.
Ian Pryce, from Harper Adams said: “Harper Adams University was delighted to run its first Lantra Awards Awareness of Integrated Weed Management course. We hope this will be the first of many as we strongly believe that this is a fantastic first step for grounds maintenance managers of private contractors and local authorities to help them to become less reliant on the traditional methods of weed control, such as herbicides, and to move towards a more sustainable approach that is both cost effective and more importantly environmentally friendly.”
On completion of the course, you'll be able to:
- Understand the principles of why we manage vegetation, including the benefits and limitations of doing so
- Understand methods of weed control and why they would be considered
- The evidence behind pesticide use
- Be able to explain the benefits of an integrated approach to weed management
- Consider an integrated weed management approach suitable to a specific location
- Understand risks associated with the use of various control methods
- Appreciate that cost is not relative to effectiveness
- Be able to put together an integrated weed management scheme
- Understand the changing nature of weed control policy and practice, appreciating the importance of keeping up to date through additional training and refreshers.
You'll also earn CPD points while you learn.